Friday, November 12, 2010

Veterans' Day

I have been thinking of this for a few day and it still might not come out right but here I go.  In my family there are many veterans, from extended family to my direct family, but most dear to me is my dad.  Dad was in the Army before the war in Vietnam started and for many years after.  I know it was never a declared war, it was war none the less.  He was in the army when it was not cool to be GI Joe.  I don't remember many details, but I do remember him being gone and his return from his second time there.  That was the longest he was gone from home but it was not the only time.  I remember my dad having to leave many many times for TDY (Temporary Duty Yonder) as I was growing up.  I know that the sacrifice was not just his either.  My mom had to support him in his service which was not always easy with 4 boys.  The families of all our service men and women deserve our gratitude for there sacrifices.  My dad was active duty for over 26 years. He received a medical discharged because of a heart condition in 1983.  He served with honer and I proud of him and the many years of sacrifice he made for this country.  He then went to work for the army as a civilian.  He did that for about 10 before receiving another medical retirement.  Now he serves the visually and hearing impaired students at the university that he got his degree from after his second retirement.

The first 18 years of my life I spent as an 'army brat'.  I would not trade it for anything.  I got to do and see thing many people will never be able to do or see.  The two that stand out most to me as I reflect on this Veterans' Day are the Berlin Wall and Panmunjom.  These two stand out as place where I felt the most grateful for the freedoms we enjoy in the United States.  While in Berlin I had dinner with a family that had a boy my age and it was fun to play with him in his back yard.  The only draw back was that his back fence was the WALL. We could see across the racked sand, trench and barbed wire another boy our age playing too.  How would it be to grow up neighbors and never know even know each others names.  Then at Panmunjom, which is the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea the tension so thick you could almost cut it.




I joined the Air Force and served during the 1991 Gulf War.  The contrast to the way the service men and women were treated at the end of that war compared to Vietnam are like day and night.  I remember a bumper sticker that said volumes in just a few words 'I am not a Gulf War hero, just Vietnam vet'.  I was able to spend some time with my dad while I was doing some training in Oklahoma and he was drive between New Mexico and Missouri.  It was a good time to talk and really get to know my dad.

  I got out of the Air Force in 1996 after 10 years and move to Missouri to be near dad while he was having medical troubles.  I loved serving my country and an glad to be doing it again.  This time it is with the Missouri Air National Guard.  I am almost done with phase I of my training and will be on to phase II.  Phase II will be completed in an operational Air Force hospital.  That training should last about four months.  

Now to end this were it started, with my dad.  Starting about two years ago my dad was in and out of the hospital several times and one time he was very critical.  We all thought we might loose him.  Family and friends shed tears and prayed for him.  He is loved by so many.  Dad spent a lot of years serving his country and then so many others.  He is such a charitable and kind man that quietly helps so many.  I want to tell the world how much I love and respect the man I call dad.
                            


No comments:

Post a Comment